Faustina Dufie Wireko-Manu (PhD) is an Associate Professor in Food Science and Technology and a Faculty Member at the Department of Food Science and Technology at KNUST. Generally, she is interested in value addition to local agricultural produce for sustainable utilization, improved nutrition and wealth creation, and thus, works on food compositional studies, value addition/product development and food product quality (nutrition, sensory and safety) studies.
Prof. Wireko-Manu has PhD and MSc degrees in Food Science and Technology from KNUST, and BSc (Honours) in Nutrition and Food Science from the University of Ghana, Legon. She has certificates in Applied HACCP and Sensory Evaluation from the Royal Institute of Public Health and Institute of Food Science and Technology Trust Fund (IFST) respectively in UK. She has had the privilege of working with multidisciplinary teams of researchers on many projects with sponsorship from ENI-Ghana, Bill and Melinda Gate, IFAD, DANIDA, AUSAID and the Netherlands Government. She has been a project coordinator, co-researcher and work package leader on projects that have enhance visibility and raised funds for teaching and research at KNUST. Selected among them are:
- Okuafo Pa Project on market-focused training in agricultural value chains for youth empowerment and job creation in Ghana (2019-2020). Role: Member of proposal writing team and leader of the Postharvest and Value Addition Module. Grant sum of Six Hundred and Nineteen thousand, Eight Hundred US Dollars ($ 619, 800) from ENI Ghana.
- Purdue Improved Crops Storage (PICS) 3 Project (2016-2019). A Sub Contract Project sponsored by Bill and Melinda Gate to help understand the use of PICS bags technology to reduce insecticide use and incidence of food poisoning. Role: PI / Technical lead. Contract sum of Twenty Thousand US Dollars ($20,000).
- Improving quality, nutrition and health: impacts of inclusion of High-Quality Cassava Flour (HQCF) in bread formulations in West African (Ghana and Nigeria). IITA-McGill-KNUST collaborative Project sponsored by IFAD, (2014-2016). Role: Collaborative Scientist. Grant sum of Seventeen Thousand, Five Hundred and Forty-Five Dollars ($17,545).
- Strengthening Root and Tuber Value Chains in Ghana (2013-2017). Role: Member of proposal writing team and leader of New Product Development Work Package. Grant sum of Four Million, Nine Hundred and Ninety-six Thousand Danish Krone (4,996,000 DKK), from DANIDA.
Through these projects;
- A number of students have been sponsored, trained, and mentored. She has in effect supervised seventy-one (71) students projects/theses comprising eight PhD (2 completed), twenty-seven MPhil/MSc (23 completed) and thirty-six undergraduates (30 completed).
- Relevant research findings, technologies/products, skills and best practices have been shared and or transferred through publications, workshops and conferences. Dr Wireko-Manu has published thirty-seven (37) peer reviewed research articles, one (1) conference proceeding, one (1) co-authored book, five (5) book chapters, two (2) manuals and over 60 abstracts, oral and poster presentations at workshops and conferences.
- Communities have been directly engaged through organized trainings, exhibitions, festivals and media discussions to create awareness, transfer skills and empower relevant stakeholder along the food value chain.
Her contributions have impacted greatly on the advancement of science and humanity and the collaborations have enhanced her knowledge sharing and implementation of best practices as a researcher, facilitator/teacher/tutor and mentor. Her articles are cited globally and index in good databases such as Scopus, Springer, ResearchGate, Google Scholar among others.
- Member, Council of Convocation, KNUST, 2020-date.
- Representative of Council of Convocation on the Estate Organization Management Committee of KNUST, 2020-date.
- Member, College of Science Research and Conference Committee (CoS), 2016 to date.
- External Assessor for promotion of research/academic staff, 2016-Date.
- Reviewer of research articles for journal publishers, 2011-date.
- Panel of Assessor of academic programs for National Accreditation Board, Ghana, 2016-Date.
- Member, Technical Advisory Committee on Nutrition, Food and Drugs Authority, Ghana, 2018-Date.
- Chairperson of LOC, 1st National Food Fraud Conference, KNUST, 27th January 2016.
- Visiting Professor to FIPDes in France under the collaboration between KNUST and Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degree in Food Innovation and Product Design (FIPDes), 2-6th 2019.
- Visiting Professor to ISA Lille, France, under the Staff Mobility for Training and Teaching in the frame of the Erasmus + project no 2017-1-FR01-KA107-036901 between ISA Lille and KNUST, 3-11th May 2019.
- Fellow, Australia Awards Fellowship on improving agricultural productivity through increasing the impact of agricultural research in Africa, University of Sydney, Australia, April-May 2015.
- Fellow, Agropolis Fondation on competitive research attachment at the Institút National de la Recherche Agronomiqu? (INRA), Avignon, France, 2013-2014.
- Fellow, African Women in Agricultural Research and Development (AWARD) on research and leadership development program, Nairobi, Kenya, 2011-2013.
Prof. (Mrs.) F.D. Wireko-Manu has been an active member of GSA and won the Overall Best Author with the highest number of abstracts submitted to GSA Webinar 2020 (9th GSA Kumasi Branch Research Seminar and Poster Presentations).